Wanting to cook – per How We Montessori – we threw their method out and adapted the cornbread recipe to make a banana bread this afternoon. Worked out very well, tho it took a while to cook. However, pretty porr from a montessori / practical life perspective. Win some, lose some.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons ground sugar
- 2 eggs, divided, whites beaten to soft peaks
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaped tablespoon almond milk powder
- 1 & 2/3 cup flour blend # 2 + 1/3 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup raisins
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and mix. Mix flour, salt, and powders and incorporate, mixing the cup of water in gradually to avoid clumping, and the banana and raisins at the end. Fold in egg whites and pour into a lined loaf tin. About 45 minutes at 425 F / 220 C.
Outstanding – not at all crumbly, moist (a bit too moist maybe – adjust the water down a little), and full of flavour.